The Palestine City Council on Monday approved an ordinance prohibiting parking on the south side of Park Avenue during its regular meeting.
City staffers had proposed the ordinance amid concerns about children and others attempting to cross all lanes of traffic to access Reagan Park. With the recent addition of a Splashpark and new playground equipment, city officials are anticipating greater usage of the park.
“Everybody visiting the park could park on the north side (of Park Avenue) without having to cross the street to get to the park,” said Tim Perry, public works director for the City of Palestine.
In the near future, Perry suggested that the city may explore adding “some crosswalks” across Park Avenue to provide another safety feature.
Also on Monday, the council:
• AMENDED resolution designating authorized representatives for TexStar investment accounts.
• AMENDED resolution designating authorized representative for TexPool investment accounts.
• APPROVED minutes of the work session and regular meeting of July 9, 2012.
• CONFIRMED appointment of Jeffrey Lyons as city’s development services director.
• APPROVED plan design, administration and funding changes to the city’s Group Medical and Dental Plans.
• APPROVED resolution authorizing city manager to execute an agreement with Texas Department of Transportation for temporary closure of Texas 19 (Spring Street) on Oct. 27, 2012 during Hot Pepper Festival.
• APPROVED an ordinance amending Chapter 98 Utilities of the Code of Ordinances regarding water rates.
• APPROVED ordinance to permit the operation of golf carts on public streets in specific neighborhoods during daylight hours after receiving request from UPS to help facilitate its Christmas time deliveries.
Paul Stone may be contacted via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Local News
Salute to Armed Forces event re-invented
The Texas State Railroad’s 15th Annual Salute to the Armed Forces event Saturday at the Palestine Depot has been re-invented this year on Memorial Day weekend to pay tribute to all branches and all eras of the U.S. military service through its 15th Annual Salute to the Armed Forces event.
Police investigating robbery
Palestine Police are continuing to investigate the armed robbery of a local convenience store involving multiple suspects that occurred late Tuesday evening.
Boil water notice issued for Elkhart residents
A boil water notice has been issued for City of Elkhart residents. It reads as follows:
Due to a water main line break, the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) has required our water system, City of Elkhart PWS id 0010005, to notify customers of the need to boil their water prior to consumption.
Reagan Park Spray ground to open Saturday
The City of Palestine Parks and Recreation Department will kick off the first full season for the Reagan Park Spray Ground with an public opening event this Saturday.
Annual Bluegrass Music Festival begins today at Salmon Lake
Bluegrass bands from across the country will descend upon the Grapeland area this week for the 16th Annual Memorial Day Weekend Bluegrass Music Festival, opening today and continuing through Sunday at Salmon Lake Park.
Healthy cooking program offered
The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service in Palestine is offering a four-week program starting this Thursday to help diabetics make healthy cooking choices.
Steps of Faith Dance Center production Saturday
Steps of Faith Dance Center will hold its annual production at 7 p.m. Saturday at the Palestine Civic Center.
“We’re going to take you to a land far away and tell you the ‘real’ story of some of your favorite fairy tale characters,” Steps of Faith Dance Center owner Jennifer Ballew said. “The production is full of lively fun music, a reminiscing ol’ Granny, and of course the incredible dancing of several talented students.”
Chamber sets photo contest
The Palestine Area Chamber of Commerce is seeking shutterbugs to participate in its second annual photo contest — portraying structures, landmarks and memorable locations in the Palestine/Anderson County area.
Memorial Day celebration set Saturday
The Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 3907 will hold a Memorial Day celebration on Saturday featuring barbecue, live music, an auction and more.
Longview man injured in motorcycle wreck
A Longview man remained in fair condition in a Tyler hospital Monday following a one-vehicle motorcycle wreck Friday near Montalba on Texas 19.
- More Local News Headlines
- Salute to Armed Forces event re-invented